Last visit was: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 am It is currently Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC

[ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:18 am 
GDB Junior

Oh hi.. I just want to share to this... My contribution to this community.. If everyone in you likes photography like me i have useful tips for.. Hope you like it...

I have always loved night photography - the interplay of different light sources produces a fantastic array of colours, and the contrast between light and dark areas creates a vibrant, engaging scene. I do first was:

1. Location and Viewpoint
Choose a shooting location that will make some interesting shaped light trails, and maybe choose somewhere with plenty of traffic so that you get lots of car trails. Picture the cars in your mind moving through the scene and imagine how their light trails will look.

2. Car Direction - Towards or Away?
Think of of what you want to take a shot a car that towards you or away from you. When choosing your viewpoint think that car lights have different colours - white at the front and red at the back. The color of the light trails in your photo can dramatically affect the feel of the image.

3. Plan Your Exposure Time
This is very critical when photographing car trail at night.. Longer exposure means more trails and their length extended but if it too long its faded and that's very noticeable.. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:54 am 
GDB Pro

This is such a great tips. Good to learn this technique which i am eagerly wanted to know. Thanks Karen for your concern help for us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:38 am 
GDB Newbie

You will need a tripod for this technique (or at least be able to lean your camera on something to keep it sturdy) as you will be opening up your shutter for a few seconds or more at a time and you will need your camera to stay perfectly still. Otherwise you will get camera shake and your photos will be blurry.

custom print

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:31 am 
GDB Regular

Light trails are one of my favourite night photography subjects. Their twisting shapes lead the viewer's eye around the image, producing some wonderfully abstract photos. They are also a great way to begin experimenting with your camera's manual exposure settings.

[ 4 posts ]